Unearthing Graveyard History at Walworth Cemetery

Remembering the War Years – A Ballymoney World War II Archive Resource
1st August 2022

Unearthing Graveyard History at Walworth Cemetery

Project Attributes

Project:

1613-2013 PlantationBig houses

Owner:

CCGBC Museum ServicesLimavady Museum

Date:

1st August 2022


Join archaeologist, Prof Audrey Horning, as she explores the remains of St Peter’s Church (also known as Walworth Old Church or the Garrison Church), with reference to the adjacent fortified house, to uncover the site’s 17th century history and the story of the Fishmonger’s plantation in Co. Londonderry.

Funded by the Department of Communities Historic Environment Fund, this video was developed as part of a Causeway Coast and Glens Borough Council project carryout conservation works to the boundary wall of Walworth cemetery.

Please note that while the graveyard is open to the public, the ground can be uneven and it may not be accessible to people with mobility difficulties. The remains of the fortified house (or bawn) are on private property with no public access.